I am just learning about senior living options for the first time? Can you help me understand the different choices?
- Independent Living is ideal for individuals who can still live independently without problems, but desire access to occasional help.
- Assisted Living is appropriate for individuals who have challenges completing any one of the daily activities needed for independent living. Residents at assisted living communities maintain as much independence as possible and also receive extensive support for socialization and mingling with their peers.
- Assisted Living with Memory Care is essentially Assisted Living plus recommended memory care programs.
- In a Memory Care Community, your loved one will receive everything an assisted living community with memory care offers, but in an environment designed exclusively for those battling memory loss.
- The Skilled Nursing Facility offers nursing care and/or rehabilitation services to help injured, sick, or disabled individuals.
How much does it cost to live in a Sundance community?
There are many variables when caring for a loved one battling memory loss. At Sundance, we keep the financial portion consistent and very straightforward.
Each of our communities has one flat monthly rate, which includes all levels of care.
What’s not included?
- Cable and Phone
We don’t recommend these amenities. We prefer that your loved one is engaged and not secluded in their room. But, this is your loved one’s home and you can add these for a simple, flat rate.
- Onsite Salon
Is your staff fully licensed and trained in memory care?
Yes. We only hire the most qualified people to lead each community. We select members of our care team with a focus on character and competency. We guarantee a loving professional care team will encircle your loved one, day and night.
Why is the layout of the building so important?
Loss of memory leads to forgetfulness about normal, daily activities. Becoming increasingly forgetful often leads to getting lost. And getting lost leads to loss of dignity, which can cause both agitation and depression. The flow of your loved ones new home environment was designed with these facts in mind.
Memory regression experts from across the country have frequently noted that Sundance buildings are designed with “immaculate functionality” for anyone dealing with memory loss.
About the facility:
- 40 apartments total, divided into two “houses” of twenty
- One house is for residents who are highly functioning, and the other house is for our residents who have more advanced memory care needs.
- Each house is divided into two ‘wings’
- Each ‘wing’ has 10 apartments
- Each Sundance community is designed with an open floor plan between all common areas, which encourages social interaction and involvement.
- Both private and semi-private apartments are available with and without private showers. Most of our residents prefer the spa for bathing.
What kinds of activities are available at Sundance? Are there activities in the evenings and on the weekends?
Our halls are filled with laughter and friendship. Our Active Life Coordinator knows that premier care is more involved than simply tending to medical needs.
- We dance, laugh, sing, shake and move from breakfast to bedtime. Whether we are using the most advanced technology available in our SNOEZELEN ROOM or visiting with residents about childhood memories, we work diligently to engage your loved one’s mind.
- Courtyard walks allow your loved one to get a daily dose of Vitamin D.
- During our admissions process, we learn what makes your loved one come alive and begin to incorporate those things into their tailored care program. Whether it is gardening, painting, woodwork, singing, crafts or a baseball game in the evening, we will find a way to keep residents active and engaged.
- We invite you to visit and participate as often as you’d like. We host birthday parties, holiday events, weekend cookouts and community events.
What are the visiting hours at Sundance?
Any hour is the right hour for a visit. We understand Sundance is now home for your loved one. Whether you’d like to share a meal or drop by for a cup of coffee, our care team will ensure your visit is seamless.
What do we need to pack for our loved one’s move?
Great question. We encourage you to bring anything that will remind him or her of home. Pictures, keepsakes and a favorite chair are often at the top of the list. Ten days of clothing is optimal. Your family is encouraged to decorate the apartment, but we are also happy to furnish the room.
What is the resident to staff ratio?
Sundance maintains 6:1 resident to care team member ratio. We encourage you to pay close attention to how this number is calculated in any memory care community you are consider ing for your loved one. We do not include the Executive Director, Wellness Director, any of the kitchen staff or the housekeeping staff in our number. During all waking hours, your loved one will be cared for by a Sundance team member specifically trained in memory care management and wholly devoted to serving six residents or fewer.
If my loved one doesn’t live near me, how do I get them to Sundance?
To bring safety and assurance to the process, we will send one of our care team leaders to accompany you and your family member to Sundance via the transportation method of your choice. Providing the care team leader is at our expense, not yours!
What services are available to my loved one onsite?
For people with dementia, it is important to establish a routine and limit changing environments. For this reason, most every service your loved one might need can be available within the walls of each Sundance community.
- Barber Shop and Salon
- Podiatry, Vision, Auditory and Dental Services
- Mobile X-ray
- Physical and Occupational Therapy
- Visiting MDs
How do you monitor the diet of my loved one?
Our menu focuses on minimally processed and locally sourced ingredients. We believe that real, whole foods are best for our residents. We adhere to the belief that if your great grandmother wouldn’t recognize it as food, it’s not food and not beneficial to your loved one.
We serve three hardy meals per day, plus healthy snacks. Trained dieticians create daily menus specifically for people battling memory regression. And the food tastes fantastic. Come join us for a meal!
How is medication managed?
In keeping with our commitment to blending compassionate care with the most advanced forms of technology, we manage all medication distribution through QuickMAR. Medicine is distributed to each of our residents in their room and never at the dinner table.
Is there a nurse on staff?
Absolutely. We have a nurse onsite during daytime hours, and have immediate access to a doctor and an RN around-the-clock.
How do I know that memory care is right for my loved one?
We have a simple series of questions we can walk through together to help you answer this question. If we are not the right fit, we have great relationships in the area and will take you to a community that best suits your loved one’s current needs.
My loved one wanders, will they be safe?
Yes. Ask about our “Hug Rotations”. Every 30 minutes, we lay eyes and hands on your loved one, through a handshake, a hug or a back rub. This is our approach to rising above the industry average of 3-4 hours between viewing of each resident.
Also, each resident’s room is equipped with CISCOR. The room is programmed to the specific needs of your loved one. If he or she is a fall risk, sensors notify caregivers of all movements, and movements are tracked electronically for you to see how well your loved one is getting around. Come by for a tour and ask to hold one of our care team’s notification devices. They’re fantastic!
Do you take residents out for day trips in community?
This question is very, very important. We bring the local community to Sundance.
Going on outings sounds like a good idea. And, we’ve shared that Sundance team members love to laugh and have a great time. However, studies consistently demonstrate that memory care patients function best when their environment remains consistent.
Can my loved one have a pet?
We love pets! Dogs, cats and fish are all welcome. We frown on reptiles. We will explain more if reptiles are an issue.